Mississippi Spring Severe Weather Preparedness Week Feb. 20-24, 2017
Are you ready for severe weather? Each year the National Weather Service here in Mississippi focuses on Severe Weather Preparedness Week. The week is designed to refresh, remind and educate everyone about the seasonal threats, from severe weather and how to avoid them. It's also a great time to make and practice your emergency plan and build or refresh your emergency preparedness kit.
Severe Weather Preparedness Week Schedule
- Monday, February 20th ~ Severe Thunderstorms
- Tuesday, February 21st ~ Flash Flooding
- Wednesday, February 22nd ~ Tornado Safety (There will be a statewide tornado drill in conjunction with the Routine Weekly Test at 9:15 am).
- Thursday, February 23rd ~ Lightning
- Friday, February 24th ~ Methods of receiving weather warnings
The Statewide Tornado Drill on Wednesday, February 22nd will be conducted at 9:15 am, using the Routine Weekly Test through NOAA Weather Radio All-Hazards. It is strongly encouraged for local emergency managers, school officials, businesses, and home owners to participate in this drill. The best way to learn what to do when severe weather approaches is to practice when the weather is not threatening.
For more information on Mississippi Spring Severe Weather Preparedness Week please check the link below:
How you can prepare
If you are interested in some ideas on how you, your family, business, or your community can participate in Spring Severe Weather Preparedness Week, check out some ideas on this list: